Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Equipment-Brushes

This will be the first article in a series dedicated to "tool talk". Since brushing seems to be the most universal service most of our clients receive I thought it a good choice to start with.
I've used many different brands of slicker brushes over the years. The brand that stands out and that I use currently is the Les Pooches brushes. I love them. I use the blue brushes for my everyday grooming. The red matt zapper is also great for, well, dematting. The head is very flexible and much easier on my wrists as I have problems with both hands. I love having a side with straight pins because I fluff dry just about everything that goes on my table. After comparing notes with other groomers I have heard complaints that they lose pins. After having the same set of brushes for about 3 years now I have to say it is not the case with mine. On Saturday I just used for the first time the new Mars Flexi Brush. Very similar in style to the Les Pooch but much more flexible. Smaller than the small Les Pooches brushes and only one sided. I will say that I think this little brush works amazingly well for small areas. Especially sensitive ones. Underarms, tummy, face, etc. It also seemed to work very well on getting matts out. Of course one day of use is never enough for a full review! It is also much less expensive than Les Pooches but Mars only has the small size at this point.
I used to use and still like to Oster Universal brushes. They are a good basic slicker and work with a multitude of coats. My problem with the Universal brushes were the pins falling out and the wear and tear on my wrists. I have also used the ergonomic JW brushes. Loved them for how easy they were on my hands and wrists. Unfortunately they seemed to fall apart and even with their guarantee it was a pain having to mail the brush back to the company every few months.
The initial expense of the Les Pooches may seem a bit much, but in my opinion it is well worth the cost for how well they work and the ease of use for your hands. I doubt I could make it through the day without mine just because of the pain I would have in my hands otherwise.


A profile view of a Les Pooches brush

The Mars Flexi brush

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I like the les pooche slickers too. I don't really like firm slickers but another groomer suggested #1 all systems slickers when I needed a new one so I bought it. It is a firm one, so I was timid about using it at first...but now that I'm used to it I use it regularly. It has held up a lot better than any other slicker I have.

Anonymous said...

I use the Les Poochs as well. I really love the mat zapper, but I could live without the others. I prefer the chris christiansen soft slickers for the sensitive dogs, and the regular universal Slicker for most everything else.