Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Set Yourself Apart-The Importance of Good Customer Service

I am still amazed when I hear some groomers talk about how they deal with their clients. It makes me wonder how they are still in business.
Today I happened to catch "The People's Court" and there was a client suing a groomer for cutting her dog in several areas. Typically I am rooting for the groomer, but in this case the groomer was so in the wrong it wasn't funny. First he wanted to make it very clear that although he was the owner, he hadn't been in that day. He was not the one who had groomed the dog. He admitted to feeling horrified when he saw what had been done to the dog and had agreed to pay the vet bill. His biggest complaint was he felt a follow up visit for more antibiotics was unwarranted. He also counterclaimed for defamation of character. This whole case made groomers in general look bad. First his excuse was financial problems, that's why he didn't pay the vet bill. (I understand that this happens to many of us, but that is not an acceptable excuse to me for not paying. He could have offered a payment plan of some type, but he didn't). He also felt because she told other people about what happened to her dog, and that he lost business over it, he could sue for defamation. (Please let me make it very clear to everyone that if someone is telling the truth, it's NOT defamation!) When walking out of the courthouse he mentioned that his business would bounce back because he was the best. I'm sorry, but I dsiagree. In this business being the best groomer is not what keeps a business afloat. Perhaps it did at one time, but these days people want more. If I saw that show as a client I wouldn't care how great of a hair cut he could do on my dog I would never let him touch my animal because of how unprofessionally he handled the situation.
If groomers want to be treated as professionals and get paid as professionals then we need to act accordingly. Being able to scissor to perfection is a great quality but it does not guarantee a successful business. Remember, these days we are also competing with corporate grooming salons that have a lot more money for advertising and equipment than most privately owned salons. Customer loyalty is not what it used to be. We have to not only work to get clients, but we have to keep on working to KEEP them as well. There are many things you can do to make your clients feel appreciated and special. To keep clients you have to make your services stand out above the rest. The following are simple steps you can take, services you can offer that don't take much money or time, but will definitely be noticed by your customers. They won't work in every salon since everyone has a different layout and space available, but even one or two of these ideas can make clients remember you, tell their friends about you, and keep them coming back!
Who doesn't appreciate a free cup of coffee or tea? It's an inexpensive yet easy way to say thank you to your clients. It also conveys a more upscale image for your salon. What is so great about a coffee service area is that it grabs people's attention. While there are fixing their coffee they are also looking around. It's easy to either put the coffee where they would have to pass by many of your retail items or set up some small impulse items near the coffee area. If you've ever wondered why the big pet stores put all the food in the back of their stores it is to make sure their customers who come in monthly (or however often they buy pet food) have to walk through the store to get to what they need to buy in order to increase the chance they will see something else to buy. Customers dropping their pets off before work who would normally run back out are more likely to notice other things in your salon if they stop to fill up a cup of coffee.
A dog watering station is also a great compliment to a coffee service. Having a simple gallon jug with the spigot on the bottom with some bowls near by is a great way to set yourself apart from the groomer down the street. There are too many germs these days to offer up just a bowl of water for all the clients to drink from. You can use disposable bowls or those that can be washed and used over and over. If you have a water cooler you simply can add the bowls next to the cups for the clients.
As the mother of two nothing grabs my attention like someone going out of their way to make my kids feel special. Having some animal related stickers or a bag of lollipops (remember to ask parents first before offering candy) can be a great way to impress some parents. Of course it also makes my kids want to go back a lot! My daughter loves going to the bank now!
During the rainy season I like to keep a big golf umbrella near the door. I can easily walk clients out to their cars and help keep them and their pet (somewhat) dry. It's easier with the smaller dogs of course. I personally hate spending a ton of time fluffing a dog only to watch an owner caught unprepared in the rain. Next to the golf umbrella I hang on the wall a few loaner leashes. I go to the dollar store to buy them. I use fabric paint to put my business name on them as well as the word "Loaner". Most owners know right where the leashes are (I keep mine right by the door) and I no longer have people that come in with a loose dog.
I think the most important thing to make your client feel special and appreciated is to make the time to talk to them. I know we all get busy and sometimes I am thinking "please hurry up" but I never rush any client. It is my goal to make each client feel as though they are my only client. I keep notes on their cards not only of the pets specifics but of things that I might want to remember for next time. I had a client going in for a c-section a week after I groomed her dog. I called a few days after her surgery and left a message just hoping she was doing well. I make notes of their likes and dislikes in colors, bows verses bandannas, etc. Anything that I can think of that will help me make them feel like I really have taken the time to know them. I have caller ID but my clients don't have to know this. To them when they call and say "I need to make an appointment for Fluffy" and I say "Is this Mrs. Martin?" (or something along that line) they think I simply remember them or their voice. It never fails to impress the client or make them feel good about bringing their dog in to me. Many times I would know who it was without the caller ID, but it's always nice to have.
I know that every groomer has their own feelings about this, but I NEVER ask a client to clean up after their own pet. We are a service based industry and I will do whatever I can to provide the best customer service I can, including cleaning up after clients' pets. I do it both indoors and out as a courtesy for my customers. I certainly don't ever try to make a client feel embarrassed about their pet having an accident.
Last, but not least, smile. Be friendly and warm to both the client and their pet. This is a member of their family who they adore(usually). They want to feel like you will treat them with the same love and respect that they do. Pet the animal while the owner is there and talk to him. Don't just grab the pet and go. Even on a busy Saturday with very regular clients I will always say hello to both owner and pet, give the dog a good scratch on the head etc in front of the owner, and ask how the pet has been doing. With the cats I will always open the carrier to pet the cat (as long as the cat does not lunge out at me of course). This not only helps to relax the owner but I can feel if the cat or dog has any matts as well.
I hope that this article may help you add something to your salon that helps you stand out from the other groomers in your area. Without our customers we wouldn't be in business and we have to remember that. People will talk about bad experiences for a long time. It takes a lot to get them to talk about a good experience. Let's get them talking about how great you are!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you writing again!

Chris - MGT

Anonymous said...

Missy,

You write well! I'm happy to see another groomer out there trying to help the industry become more professional.

Kim