Friday, October 19, 2007

Cage Driers

I've been quiet on this blog lately and I apologize. I've been wanting to write an article on cage driers for quite some time and the stigma they seem to have attached to them.
I suppose I don't understand why some groomers are so against cage dryers. The dryers in and of themselves are not dangerous if used properly and can increase a groomers productivity while lowering stress without compromising quality.
I have always worked in salons that were multi-groomer with a large number of dogs groomed per day. Without the use of kennel driers I don't know how we would function as well or give quality grooms to the number of dogs that we do.
After each dog gets a bath the high-velocity (or H-V) drier is used to blow the dog out usually until they are mostly dry. If we are very busy sometimes only a few minutes are spent on blowing the dog off and then the dog may be placed in the cage drier a bit damper, but still blown out. Our kennel drier has a thermostat on it and it is kept at 70 degrees most of the time. Sometimes if we have an elderly dog or a young puppy that needs a warmer environment we will increase the temperature as needed. While some of the dogs sit in the drying kennels we are able to bath and blow out more dogs. Once we have the majority of the dogs bathed and blown out we go back to finish the drying, if necessary. All dogs are then re-fluffed with a hand drier on the grooming table. We do not sacrifice any quality in the finish by bathing and drying the dogs this way.
So I guess I am wondering where the problem arises with many groomers on the issue of cage drying. I understand that cage dryers can be used improperly. They should not be used to dry every dog from start to finish nor should dogs be left unsupervised while any are in use. Temperatures need to be closely monitored as well as the pets for signs of stress.
There are, in my opinion, more pros than cons to using cage dryers. It is usually much less stressful for many pets to allow around their ears and feet to dry in a kennel dryer than with an H-V. It can certainly save the bather or groomer from an unnecessary struggle. There are some dogs that simply do not tolerate an H-V well, though they may be a minority. I groom a number of senior pets that are much more comfortable lying in a kennel and relaxing than on the drying table being force dried. We also do many first time puppy grooms and though I may use the H-V a little to start to get the pup used to it, I find the more pleasant I can make the first grooming, the better they are as they get older. There are also breeds that should not be blown out completely. I had the pleasure of working with a breeder of champion Burnese Mountain Dogs and one of the things she taught me was the coat was supposed to be left wavy and flat looking. Natural, as she put it, and by blowing the coat out all the way by hand I was ruining the look.
I would be much more stressed trying to dry so many dogs by hand without my kennel dryers, there would be that much more strain on my already bad wrists. I would never have the amount of time I wanted to do a quality groom for the number of dogs I do in a day while also performing all my other duties of answering phones, checking clients in and out, cleaning and such. In my opinion, as long as cage driers are used safely and properly they are a valuable asset to any grooming salon.

No comments: